The Child Support Process

Any parent or legal guardian of a minor child in need of child support may open a case with our office. If you have recently obtained a child support order, we encourage you to contact our office to proceed with enforcement of your order.
Once your completed application is signed and received by our office, the process begins. Child Support Services will take the following steps to collect support from a non-custodial parent.


Apply for services


Open a case

We will contact you to conduct an interview.

The more information the custodial party gives about the case, the better service Child Support Services can provide.



Locate the parent


Establish paternity and/or support order


Enforce the support order

DCSS will take the following steps to enforce court orders:

  • Wage Assignments
  • Writs of Attachment
  • Levies on Bank Accounts
  • Garnishments against Personal Property
  • Liens Recorded against Real Property
  • Income Tax Refunds Intercepted
  • Unemployment and State Disability Intercept
  • Revocation of professional licenses
  • Revocation of California Driver’s License
  • Passports will not be issued
  • Contempt of Court
  • Criminal complaint for Failure to Provide (includes a possible jail sentence)

Modify the order if necessary


Case closure

Open A Case, click here….