Open a Case

Parents have several ways to apply for child support services. You may apply whether or not you have a child support order. There are several options:

Before you come to Child Support Services, try to gather and bring as much of the following information as possible:

  • Birth certificates for your children
  • Your child support order, divorce decree or separation agreement, if you have one
  • Your marriage license or certificate, if you have one

Information about the other parent:

  • Full legal name, address, phone number and email address
  • Date of birth
  • Most current physical description and photo
  • Social Security number
  • Name and address of current or most recent employer
  • Names of friends, relatives, and organizations to which the other parent might belong
  • Information about income and other assets

Child Support Services does not represent either parent or the children, and its attorneys are not your attorneys. Because you are not a legal client, the information you provide is not confidential under the attorney / client privilege. The  information in your case may be discussed or disclosed to other public agencies that are authorized by law to receive such information, the other parent’s employer, and to the other parent or their attorney to the extent required by law . By law, Child Support Services has the final decision on what child support enforcement actions will be taken, even if the custodial parent disagrees. Parents have the right to seek legal advice from a private attorney or legal aid group at their own expense at any time. For legal assistance, you may contact Family Court Services at (831) 647-5800 or (831) 755-5400. Offices are located at 1200 Aguajito Rd, 3rd Floor, Monterey, CA 93940. Please call for office hours.